Ten Summoner's Tales

Ten Summoner's Tales
1993 -: *****
Including: Shape of My Heart, She's Too Good for Me, Heavy Cloud (No Rain), and more...
Buy album: Amazon Music Store

If I Ever Lose My Faith In You
Love Is Stronger Than Justice (The Munificent Seven)
Fields Of Gold
Heavy Cloud No Rain
She's Too Good For Me
Seven Days
Saint Augustine In Hell
It's Probably Me
Shape Of My Heart
Something The Boy Said
Epilogue (Nothing 'Bout Me)


it's still pretty dang awesome.
Sting starts off with another killer single, "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You". Again, his trademark soaring vocals elevate a standard radio song into something altogether more elegant.
"Love is Stronger Than Justice" shows off his polyrhythmic bent, and also indicates his new country-tinged songwriting. At least one song off every subsequent album will have this new "flavor" that he had not explored previously. See "I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying" or "Fill Her Up"...
"Fields of Gold" is another simply beautiful song in the Sting canon. It has a classic simple sound that will not age one iota. It's the type of song that anyone from an R&B singer to a punk band could cover, and cover well.
"Heavy Cloud No Rain" goes nowhere, and "She's Too Good For Me" is an OK rave-up.
"Seven Days" returns Sting to the arena of cool, polyrhythmic, off-tempo yet immediately accessible pop.
"Saint Augustine in Hell"...sorry, I don't have any idea what to say about this one. I don't get it...maybe I'm lacking something in some way.
"It's Probably Me" is perfectly fine, but I really enjoyed the original much much more. If you haven't heard it, you're missing out. It's from the "Lethal Weapon" films...I think number 3.
"Shape Of My Heart" is another excellent ballad, and "Something The Boy Said" is kind of interesting.
"Nothing 'Bout Me" is a terrific little rocker that ends the album on a high note.
If you are interested in the Sting canon, you'll probably end up buying this eventually...I think it's a tad overrated. By M J Heilbron Jr. "Dr. Mo"

No comments:

Post a Comment